Frequently Asked Questions

Here you will find some answers related to the elections process in the Federated States of Micronesia. If you don't find the information that you are looking for, please contact us directly


 1. Will I be able to vote at a polling place using my FSM Voter ID Card?
    Yes,  you can vote at any polling place within the FSM and outside designated polling places in Guam and Honolulu.
2. How do I apply for absentee ballot when I am residing overseas?
    You may obtain absentee application form from this website, from the National Election offices, FSMPIO website and from the Consulate offices and FSM embassies.
3. Does the FSM Voter ID Card expire?
    Yes, they do expire after 5 elections, the expiration dates are located on the back side of the Voter ID Card.
4. What are the requirements for registration?
    Must be 18 years of age and either one of the following: passport, birth cerificate or baptismal records with date of birth. must provide birth certificate,
5. What is an FSM ID Card?
    It is an identification card issued under the authority of the National Election Director to a registered voter that contains the registered voter's name, registration number, State, Congressional Election District, Municipality, Date of Birth, Gender, Signature, and a photo.
6. Can I use the FSM Voter ID Card for other purposes other than voting?
    Yes, FSM Voter ID Card is a multipurpose identification card.
7. When is the next election?
    Next election will be held on November 21, 2023.
8. Can I register to vote on the election day during a National election?
    No. you can not.You must register as a new elector 30 days prior to electon.
9. What date do we submit Candidate Nomination Petition to the Election Office?
    In accordance with FSM  election Law,  nomination petition has to be filed in the National Election Office no later than 120 days prior to election at 5pm in the afternon.
10. Are there Polling Places outside the FSM for National Election?
    Yes, the outside polling places are in Guam and Honolulu, and within the FSM the Director has the authority to designate polling places.
11. Can We send our absentee ballot thru email?
    No.  Absentee ballots must be send thru post office.
12. Does the National Election have Absentee forms online?
    Yes, Forms are posted on our website, please visit here --
13. Am I eligible to vote in the National Elections??
    Yes, if you have registered yourself in either the State or National Election Offices.
14.. I am a student not residing in my state,  how do I register??
    You may fill out the registration form and send it to the respective national election commissioners office with supporting documents from the institution you are attending.
15. I am student, can I vote on campus??
    No, unless a special polling place is located on the campus.
16. I live in Hawaii, but I will be traveling to California on election day, How Do I vote??
    You may request to vote absentee by mail, so your ballot can be forwarded to your mailing address.
17. I am a member of the military, how do I vote??
    If you are residing in a state that is a designated as special polling place, and you have a FSM Voter ID Card you may vote, if not, then you  have to request to vote absentee.
18. I am serving a prison sentence, can I vote??
    No,  convicted felons are not allowed to vote.
19. I did not get a FSM VID Card in the mail, what should I do??
    If you applied  and suppose to receive it by mail, somehow you did not receive it please contact the FSM National Election Director for assistance.
20. What do I do, if I receive more than one FSM VID Card??
    Please kindly return one to the National Election Director Office.
21. Am I allowed time of work to go and vote??
    Yes, provide your supervisors grants administrative leaves.

Next Pagee


Quick Links to FSM Election Applications and Forms Available in our site:

1) Voter Registration Application and Sworn Affidavit. 2) Nomination Petition & Candidate Affidavit.  3) Application to Vote By Absentee Ballot. 4) Application For FSM Voter Identification Card.  5) Voter's Affidavit For Change of Residence Municipality or Congressional Election District. 6) Affidavit Of Witness To Change of Residence Municipality or Congressional Election District of a different State.